Friday, December 30, 2011

I'm Hearing Things

"What are you listening to?" asks my wife, Julie.


If you were an innocent bystander this might seem like an odd question because you would not hear any music playing, nor would you see me with an iPod or any other kind of music device. And yet I would be bobbing my head, tapping my foot, or humming as if I were listening to music. And you would be right. It seems I always have some sort of music in my head at all times.

My friend Darrell used to drive me nuts when he discovered that he could whistle, hum, or sing something and it would get stuck in my head the entire day. You should know that Darrell has a little deviltry in him, so his choice of music was solely dependent on how annoying it was to me. I can't even count the times I would get funny looks from people as we went into a public setting and I would realize that I had been singing "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees. Naturally, I would be doing it in falsetto.


The great thing about having music in my head is that I assign people different theme songs. As I interact with people throughout the day, these various theme songs pop into my mind unbidden, sometimes to my detriment as it can cause uncontrolled giggling depending on the circumstance.


The interesting thing is that I don't consciously assign people their theme songs. It all is triggered by personality, looks, mannerism, and a whole host of other things.


For example: One of the managers at the store I work at has been assigned the "Imperial March" theme from Star Wars. In the Star Wars movies,  whenever Darth Vader has a scene, the "Imperial March" can be heard. So, whenever I see this certain manager in the store, I hear the "Imperial March". I would not be surprised one day to hear this manager say, "You don't know the power of the dark side!"


I had a colleague when I was teaching that was assigned the theme song from the "Andy Griffith Show." He reminded me of Opie. I once started whistling the theme song after I passed him in the hall at school, and to my amusement, he started whistling the harmony. I had the giggles the entire day after that.



A colleague at work sees himself as a real "ladies man" Naturally, I hear Barry White's "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe."

"Love in an Elevator" is assigned to another who is rumored to have had several...liaisons... while at work.

I had a middle school student who had just hit puberty and was having a hard time controlling his voice. One minute he had a deep baritone voice, the next minute he sounded like Minnie Mouse. "Walk Like a Man, Talk Like a Man" will be forever his theme song.

Oh, yes. I have theme songs for myself, too. I won't get into all of them because they are too personal, but I do have a favorite. When I'm driving my '92 Pontiac Roadmaster Station Wagon and I have my sunglasses on it's, "Highway to the Danger Zone" the theme from "Top Gun".

"What are you listening to?" asks my wife. Her theme song changes, but the one that comes up most is the Joe Cocker song: "You are so Beautiful to Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEBRUARY 2020 POSTS

  Julie will sometimes drop something off in my car while I am at work. She dropped off something tonight unexpectedly , and we're proba...