Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Grinch

Friend: "Dave, you're never going to believe this! William Hurt is in the audience tonight!"

Me: (Dressed in tights and green makeup. You guessed it, I was the Grinch.) "Who?"

Friend: "William Hurt! You know, the actor who was in A.I., Dune, Lost in Space, The Doctor? He won an Academy Award for crying out loud! William Hurt is in the audience!"

Me: (Beginning to panic) "What? Why? Why is William Hurt in the audience? Why?"

Friend: "He was in the area and his son wanted to see the show."

Me: "He was in the area? This is eastern Oregon, why would William Hurt be in the area?"

Friend: "His kid lives here, I think."

Me: "Oh, I get it. Nice. You really had me going. Nice one dude."

Friend: "Dave, I'm not kidding! William-Oscar-winning-Hurt is in the audience!"

Me: "Man, I'm on to you. Give it up. I don't believe you. Give it a rest."

Another friend: (Running into the green room) "You are not going to believe this! William Hurt is in the audience!"

Me: "Wha...."

Friend: "I told you! He really is there with his kid!"

Me: (Panicky again) "Oh man, oh man, oh man...."

So, there I am -- a chubby boy in tights getting ready to perform in front of an Academy Award winning actor. It couldn't have been some of the shows where I had a modicum of dignity. No, it had to be me as the Grinch. 

Folks, there was dancing involved. And when I say dancing, I mean that the director saw fit to choreograph an entire number for me and Cindy Lou Who. Need I remind you that I was wearing tights? Let that image burn into your brain.

Sure enough, the curtains open, and there he is. Of course, we shattered the "fourth wall" in this show, meaning that I was aware of and interacted with the audience. Every time I looked out into the audience, there he was. 

In my mind I imagine William Hurt talking to some of his actor friends.

"I was once in this little eastern Oregon town called "La Grande". I went and saw one of the shows at the University and there was this chubby guy dressed in tights...."

(Sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEBRUARY 2020 POSTS

  Julie will sometimes drop something off in my car while I am at work. She dropped off something tonight unexpectedly , and we're proba...